ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:07:14 -0300
He is also joining a junior program (Saint John Sea Dogs) that made it to
the QMJHL semi-finals last year and potentially only have 3 players (the
three over age 20 year olds) that aren't returning.  So, they should be a
strong program for his entire junior career.  The Sea Dogs have arguably the
best young defence in the league.  (Two of the d-men have been invited to
the try out camp for Canada's National Junior Team.)  He can also continue
his education at RCS if he chooses (it is only a 15 minute drive from his
high school campus to either practice or home games).  The QMJHL is also
seen as the most offensive, open, free wheeling league for players of this
age.  Which in my opinion makes it a perfect place for a "smallish"
offensive defensman with apparently outstanding skating ability. (I remember
reading an article in our paper after the Sea Dogs drafted him quoting
scouts that he was potentially the best skater of all the draft eligible
players.

Don't take those comments as agreeing with his decision, I just write it to
give some of you not familiar with Major Junior, or the Quebec League, a
snapshot of the situation here in Saint John, that Maine was competing
against. Also keep in mind that he will likely have a clause in his contract
(as do most high draft picks) which provides him with a university education
if he were not to turn pro after his junior career is over. Essentially
these kids that play Major Junior have turned pro at the age of 16 or 17,
not waiting until they graduate from university or college.

As a Maine fan of course I am disappointed he has changed his mind, but I
will get to watch him locally 35 times a year, over the next couple of years
with our home town team.

  _____