ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:36:19 -0400
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/021006umhockey2.shtml

                     Sunday, October 6, 2002

                                            Maine gets Moore than an exhibition

                        By   KEVIN THOMAS, Portland Press Herald Writer

                      Copyright  2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

 ORONO  --  It was only an intrasquad game, but this is the University of Maine hockey program so 2,500 fans still showed up to watch the annual Blue-White game Saturday night at Alfond Arena. For freshmen like Greg Moore of Lisbon, it was their first time in a Maine uniform.

   "I was extremely nervous in the first half," Moore said. "It took a while to get used to the pace. In the second half, I finally started to calm down and felt like I was playing better."

   Moore contributed two assists in the second of two 25-minute halves, helping the Blue team to a 5-3 win.

   "I thought he looked real good," Maine Coach Time Whitehead said of Moore. "He played well with Marty Kariya. He got in a couple good hits, and he kept the game simple."

   Kariya also had two assists. He and Moore helped create a flurry in front of the goal in the second half where Chris Heisten knocked in the winner, his second goal of the night.

   Other leaders included Todd Jackson and Robert Liscak, each with a goal and assist. Defenseman Prestin Ryan notched an assist and looked like the top defenseman on the ice.

   "Very assertive," Whitehead said of Ryan. "He competed well and took charge."

   Whitehead also said freshman defenseman Travis Wight played well. Maine's top two goalies, Frank Doyle and Jimmy Howard, both made 10 saves, allowing two goals apiece in the first half. Goalie Ray Jean of Gardiner got his first experience in a Maine uniform. He looked sharp, making six saves, allowing only a Colin Shields breakaway goal.

   NOTES: Forward Derek Damon of Bangor was declared eligible this week. Damon, who played for St. Dominic of Auburn and the Exeter Snow Devils, was thought to be a credit short of academic eligibility for Maine. But the matter was cleared up and now Damon is competing for a spot. He scored a goal Saturday.

    Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at: