ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 20:08:14 -0400
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/021009umwomen.shtml

                     Wednesday, October 9, 2002

                                            It's not just men anymore

                        By KEVIN THOMAS, Portland Press Herald Writer

                      Copyright  2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

 PRESEASON  POLL

    PRESEASON  POLL      1. Providence

 2. Northeastern

 3. New Hampshire

 4. Connecticut

 5. Maine

 6. Boston College

 To top of story

 WAKEFIELD, Mass. -- The progress of college women's hockey took another step Tuesday when Hockey East held its first media day for women's teams.

    Hockey East, one of the dominant men's college hockey leagues, and includes the University of Maine, has formed its own women's league this season.

    "We have so much pride in this logo," University of New Hampshire Coach Brian McCloskey said, pointing to the Hockey East logo. "This means excellence. This is all part of the growth process (of women's hockey)."

    McCloskey, who recently moved from Portland to Amesbury, in northern Massachusetts, had been a New Hampshire men's assistant coach for 10 years.

    "If this sport wasn't growing, changing the way it obviously is, I wouldn't be so attracted to the job," McCloskey said. "The skill level has changed so much.

    "I remember when I left college 25 years ago, (women's hockey) was a bunch of people who used to be figure skaters. You put a stick in their hand and they pushed around the puck.

    "Now they're ripping slap shots and making tape-to-tape passes."

    And now the women are members of Hockey East.

    "We've been waiting for this day," Maine Coach Rick Filighera said. "This gives us visibility and natural rivalries."

    Filighera has coached Maine for five years, when the university made women's hockey a varsity sport.

    Five of the nine Hockey East schools feature women's hockey as a varsity sport -- Boston College, Maine, New Hampshire, Northeastern and Providence. The Connecticut women's team was invited to join, giving the league six teams.

    Nationally, there are four Division I conferences with a total of 26 teams.

    Hockey East could grow. Commissioner Joe Bertagna said nonleague schools can petition to join, and some current league schools intend to add women's hockey.

    "Two are at the mercy of facilities," Bertagna said.

    Boston University plans to add the sport when its new facility is built (expected to open in the fall of 2004) and Merrimack will include women's hockey when its rink renovation is completed. No timetable was given.

    Bertagna said one of the two state Massachusetts schools -- Massachusetts or UMass-Lowell -- likely will add the sport.

    Hockey East added women's hockey for two reasons, according to Bertagna.

    "One is administration. Having one set of schedules and one set of bylaws will be a lot easier," he said.

    "The other (reason) is an emotional push on my side. I was always a fan of the game. I was Harvard's first coach (1977-78) and I helped start the league in the ECAC (when Bertagna was commissioner there)."

    Women's hockey has seen growth spurts with the popularity of the U.S. and Canadian teams in the past two Winter Olympics. More players are involved, although a fan base still is being built.

    Maine, which routinely averages more than 5,500 for men's hockey, averaged 150 fans for women's hockey last year.

    Hockey East will have teams playing each other three times. The top four teams will qualify for the league tournament March 15-16 at Northeastern's Matthews Arena.

    In a poll of coaches, Providence was chosen as the preseason favorite, followed by Northeastern, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Maine and Boston College.

    "Those polls mean nothing," said Filighera. "People don't know who we have."

    Maine opens Oct. 25-26 at Vermont. The Black Bears play Nov. 2-3 at UNH and open their home schedule Nov. 9-10 against Providence.   Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at: [log in to unmask]