ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:07:03 -0500
I'm concerned about this -- not about doing something different than the Florida tournament, that's fine -- but more about the implication that it is more for cost cutting measures than anything.
My biggest fear is that "Maine hockey" has had its glory day and will never return.  I know we are all encouraged, but this is more than just having a top flight coach.  To be a premier program you also have to be able to fund and compete as such.  That takes a lot of money.  There are many, many hard working volunteers that are trying to do as much as they can, but you also need institutional support and resources too.  People are telling me the budget for the athletic department is a hot mess.  Is this true and is this Florida decision an outgrowth of that mess?