ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Aaron Hermes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 00:46:18 -0500
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:30 AM, John Forsyth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> After the BU debacle in December and Tim's interview with WABI in which he
> said attempts to remove him as coach were an attack on the program and
> players, I wrote to some of those players and let them know it was not
> necessarily true (I can't speak for the nuts at USCHO).  One of the replies
> I received made it plain that the players supported the coach and that they
> were going to work hard to get better on the ice.  There was more
> accountability in what he wrote than we've heard from the guy in charge.
> What he said was worthy of a captain.  There can be no doubt they have
> worked much harder and the results have followed.  I am incredibly proud of
> this group of players.

As someone who's been watching the UMaine hockey program from afar
(Virginia) for the last 10 years or so, I'm probably less connected to the
program than most of the members of this list.  That said, I think there's
a better than 0% chance (which may only be a 5% chance) that all of the
hand-wringing earlier this season actually had an effect on the team and/or
coach.  I honestly don't think it's a coincidence that some of the best
performances of the season followed the rather public call-out of the
program.  I hope it's enough to get them through the rest of the season,
but I do think that sometimes it's beneficial for a program to be reminded
of the fact that people can be picky in how they give their allegiance.

Nothing would make me happier than to see the current coach/team make their
way to the Frozen Four or beyond.  I don't want to see Tim go anywhere
unless he proves that he can't go anywhere...

aaron