ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 00:16:01 EST
According to one of the local newspapers, all four teams in the first
Everblades Hockey Tournament in Ft. Myers, Florida--UMaine, Clarkson,
Cornell, and Ohio State--have agreed to particpate next year.  This year,
three of the four games were won by a single goal, while the fourth
game--Maine vs. Clarkson--was a two-goal game with the second goal being an
empty-netter.

The tournament was billed as a sell-out, but that was because about half the
tickets were given to people who didn't show up--either included in the
Florida Everblades (an ECHL team from Ft. Myers) season ticket package or
given to corporate sponsors.  The tickets that I received through the travel
agency (which came from the UMaine allotment) were in the nosebleed section,
but except for the first period of the first game, my daughters and I wound
up sitting in the plush seats.

UMaine had the largest contingent of fans in the arena, with Cornell a
not-too-close second.  On a number of occasions during the championship game
vs. Cornell, Maine fans fill the arena with our characteristic "Let's Go,
Maine!" cheer. The Cornell fans started a "Let's Go Red" cheer only once, and
after about three repetitions, they were drowned out by the Maine contingent.

All four games were hard-fought, with the scores as follows:

First round: Maine 4, Clarkson 2; Cornell 6, Ohio State 5 (OT)
Consolation: Clarkson 7, Ohio State 6
Championship: Maine 2, Cornell 1.

Donny Richardson, the Cal Ingraham-size transfer from Vermont, made his first
appearance for UMaine in the tournament and was named first star of the
Maine-Clarkson game.

Peter Metcalf was another welcome addition to the roster, having returned
after being sidelined with injuries. Peter was named the MVP of the
tournament, and A. J. Begg was named to the all-tourney team at defense.
Although both played well, I think their honors were due to the fact that
they scored the two goals against Cornell (Metcalf added two assists against
Clarkson and Begg assisted on the empty-netter against Clarkson). Janek was
the D who played most of the last five or six minutes when both games went
down to the wire.

A few incidental notes:

The TECO arena played both the Canadian and U.S. anthems on both nights.  On
the first night, the arena violated protocol by having someone sing the Star
Spangled Banner first, and playing a recording of Oh, Canada second.  On the
second night, the arena got the order correct (in the U.S., the U.S. national
anthem is normally performed last), but the performer muffed both the words
and the tune of the Canadian anthem.

Both the Cornell and the Clarkson fans chose to disrespect the National
Anthem in favor of alma mater.  When the phrase, "the rocket's red glare,"
was sung, the Cornell fans shouted out the word "RED"; moments later, when
the performer sang "Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still
there," the Clarkson fans shouted "KNIGHT."

The Maine fan contingent included a sizeable number of fans who used the
tournament as an excuse to spend a few days in Florida (including myself and
two daughters), as well as a number of expatriot Mainers, including former
UMaine development director Bob Holmes and his wife Ginny, and former UMaine
employee and hockey fan Ronnie Morin of Old Town.

The Maine team was supposed to be staying at the Radisson Inn-Ft. Myers, but
they were somehow switched to another hotel, much to the dismay of my
daughters.

However, Maine fans were able to meet the team at a reception a half-hour
after the first game.  Coach Walsh had the team members introduce themselves
and say a few words. Characteristically, the players were very polite and
accommodating in chatting with fans (including my daughters) after the
reception.

The Ohio State team stayed at the Radisson, but if I hadn't seen a bulletin
board note to that effect, I would not have had any reason to be aware of
their presence.  Although they had rooms directly above mine, I didn't hear a
sound from their direction.