ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mark Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 10:11:22 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Both the Cornell and the Clarkson fans chose to disrespect the National
> Anthem in favor of alma mater.  When the phrase, "the rocket's red glare,"
> was sung, the Cornell fans shouted out the word "RED"; moments later, when
> the performer sang "Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still
> there," the Clarkson fans shouted "KNIGHT."

Actually, I always got a kick out of that, from the first time I heard the
Clarkson fans do it several years ago.  I hope that doesn't make me unpatriotic
-- I actually thought it was rather creative.  The disruption was only momentary,
and I didn't consider it any more disrespectful than when fans in every other
sport always start cheering prematurely as the tempo slows and last phrase of the
anthem kicks into gear for the big finish.

In fact the biggest sports thrill of my life came in 1991.  I had just moved to
Chicago and the US had just launched the first air assault against Iraq following
their invasion of Kuwait.  I was lucky enough to attend the NHL All-Star game at
venerable Chicago Stadium, where the fans' tradition was to cheer as loudly as
possible right from the start of the U.S. anthem.  Singer Wayne Messmer,
accompanied by an enormous pipe organ (most of the pipes were in the stadium
rafters directly overhead) was drowned out immediately.  People everywhere were
waving US flags, and many servicemen and vets in the crowd were moved to tears.
I learned firsthand that day why Chicago Stadium was known as the "loudest arena
in the world."

Anyway, thanks for the road game reports!  Hope you and your daughters had an
enjoyable trip down South.  Did you make it back home ahead of the blizzard?  I'm
actually dying for a major snowfall and Arctic cold snap here in Atlanta, just to
show the locals what a REAL Maine winter is like.  Temps dipped into the TEENS
here last night, and local TV stations were interrupting regular broadcasts with
"severe weather updates" warning of "extreme, bitter cold".  What a joke!  We had
2" of snow two weeks ago and the city virtually shut down for two days!

Happy New Year to all Black Bear fans, players, coaches and staff, and their
families!

--
Mark Brown
Atlanta, GA