From:
Dave Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 17:52:48 -0500
It seems Art Berman, Amber-Dee Uyesato and I have some definite opinions
about this game!

To Art:  you'll notice I said LOCAL coverage -- by which you could infer
Boston-area from the rest of my comments, and by extrapolation all of New
England.  All the major TV sports nets -- ESPN (1 and 2), NESN, and
SportsChannel deigned not to carry the game, and a careful perusal of my TV
Guide yielded not so much as a wee-small-hours tape delay...!?!  I made a
hasty trip to the video emporium and rented "Phenomenon" since none of the
NHL/AHL offerings interested me.  Unsolicited and unrelated opinion:  I liked
the movie.

To Amber:  these were, at least allegedly, the best American (read U.S.
citizens) NCAA Div. I college hockey players.  You might very well be right:
the best players number among them Canadians attending school "below the
line" and so were ineligible by arbitrary ruling.  What was never made clear,
at least to me, was that this game would pit the NCAA versus the CIAU -- I
fully expected Canadian players from the NCAA to be competing for Canada, and
only today discovered that was not the case.  Shame on me for not researching
further, or shame on the organizers for not doing a better promotional job?
 Or both?

To all: anybody got a box score for the contest?  Art?  If so, please post.

Moral to the story:  investment in a full-sized satellite dish seems to be
the road to take if you want to catch college hockey telecasts.  Now if
somebody'd just front me the money...  Art?  Amber?  Anybody?  :-)

Well, I just read Greg Berge's post before I hit the "Send" key, so color me
stupid: the game was on the tube this afternoon on SportsChannel at 1:00 PM,
but here it is almost six o'clock, so I guess I really blew it.  It never
occurred to me to check the NEW  TV Guide when I was searching for obscure
broadcast times...  "a mind is a terrible thing to waste."  So, I'll
gracefully bow out of any further discussion of this topic, having
demonstrated my inability to pursue even the simplest tasks...  guess I
should have rented Jim Carrey's "Dumb and Dumber" or Tom Arnold's "The
Stupids"!