From:
Dave Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 09:48:36 -0500
I wonder, Amber, just what you meant in your subject header by "Fake"
tourney???

As fully expected, local media coverage was virtually nonexistent for this
inaugural event -- the Lowell "Sun", never noted for anything but parochial
reporting, featured a photo of Neil Donovan (UMass/Lowell) on the front page
of its Sports section this morning, but nary a further mention; the Boston
"Globe" gave us a line score, nothing more; the Boston "Herald" had nothing
whatsoever, apparently considering it a non-event.  The "Globe" did include a
miniscule article about the Women's world cup, but that was it in three
"major" newspapers in the Boston area as far as college hockey deemed worthy
of note was concerned.

The final result, as you probably know by now, was a 5-4 overtime victory by
the Canadian contingent; I'd be willing to bet that no one who follows our
beloved NCAA Division I programs would have believed the players from schools
north of the border had a prayer of winning.  ??

In spite of this first year's dismal coverage, I hope the concept is not
abandoned, and that given time it will merit the kind of attention it
deserves.  For this year, at least, Canada has reinforced their perennial
claim to be the breeding ground of superior talent; maybe at the same time
they successfully demonstrated that the CIAU is in fact comparable to the
NCAA, at least on an "all-star" basis...???

Congratulations, Canada!  "Wait 'til next year!"