From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 12:20:24 -0400
Jeff Kennedy wrote:

[. . .] >>It just seemed to me that Walsh just wanted it close at the end
and then he knew he could win.  He wanted to play for overtime to even
things out.  Despite his many detractors, the guy is a great coach.<<

Not a bad strategy, if you have a good and/or hot goalie. Ask the Czechs in
the Olympics.  I think that even among his detractors, you'd find very few
who don't think that he is a very, very good game coach.

>>Anyone out there think Umile would have pulled Conklin if the 3rd goal
counted? <<

He would've it he had listened to my initial reaction.  But after watching
the replays, I was not quite so critical of Conklin, and more critical of
the defenseman.  In my opinion, there are  two things a d-man should prevent
on a 2-on-1: the cross ice pass and the puck carrier cutting across.  He did
a good job with the cross ice pass, but stuck with it too long and allowed
the puck carrier to cut across.  The cut across forces the goalie to move
laterally, exposing a five hole, and giving the shooter a lot of options.

Clay