College Hockey discussion list <HOCKEY-L@MAINE>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 90 13:29:56 EDT
 LOCAL NOTES OF INTEREST TO THOSE PERSONS VISITING THE TWIN CITIES FOR THE 1990
 OLYMPIC FESTIVAL.            NIGHTLIFE: There will be concerts (jazz, big band,
 '50s-'60s, rock, etc.) every night on the Northrup Mall on the Univ campus.
 MUSEUMS: We have several excellent ones in the Twin Cities. The Science Museum
 of Minnesota and Omni-Theater, The Walker Art Center (modern), and The
 Minneapolis Institute of Arts.   WILDLIFE: The Como Park Zoo is in St Paul and
 it's free (they have great Polar Bears and Gorillas). The Minnesota Zoo is in
 Apple Valley and is really spectacular! It is almost impossible to see it all
 in one day(visit). They have animals in natural habitat and some very unusual
 animals. We also have the Como Park Conservatory which exhibits beautiful
 plants and flowers. There is also the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum in Chaska
 for a wonderful example of a botanical paradise.
 The Local Mpls newspaper the Star Tribune is publishing a special section on
 Friday July 6th all about the Festival.
 I would also suggest a tour of the Univ of Minn campus including Dinkytown and
 Stadium Village.  The Days Inn on Univ Ave and 24th Ave is a good location to
 stay at.
 Other interesting places to see include: Riverplace (on the Mississippi River-
 front, shopping, restaurants, bars, comedy gallery, etc.), Gaviidae Common and
 The Conservatory (very Up-scale mini-malls on the famous Nicollet Mall in down-
 town Mpls), the in-city lakes: Lake Calhoun, Lake of the Isles, and Lake Har-
 riet.
 For those coming to town for Hockey you'll want to be sure to pay a visit to
 Stub and Herb's on the corner of Oak Street and Washington Ave.  It's the local
  "filling station" for Gopher fans and other sports fans.  Be sure to check out
  all the photos of Gopher athletes past and present.  The Gopherhockey wall-
 mural photos are my personal favorite!
 I am willing to help out any visiting fans with questions and can do campus
 tours too.  Please reply to me on bitnet and be sure to include the "address"
 where I can send the info to.  Enjoy!!!!  Carol White, U of Minn '75
 P.S. TO JAMES B.@CLEMSON I hope this helps, a letter with similar info was sent
      to you at Clemson yesterday.  Call if you have questions.