From:
Britton Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 2019 13:47:08 -0800
By rule, video replay can not be initiated during play--that is, off-ice
officials can not interrupt play to begin a video review. If the call on
the ice was no goal, and video replay overturns that call, all play after
the time the goal was scored is nullified; the goal will be counted, time
will be set to the time the goal was scored, and any other action that
resulted in the stoppage initiating the replay is also null, including any
subsequent goals (rule 83.6). The lone exception to this is a penalty. The
penalty will be enforced regardless of the team, however the time of the
penalty will revert to the time of the goal being scored (rule 93.5).

Officials have discretion to go back and review it or not unless the coach
elects to challenge the play (case in point, Denver in the Frozen Four). A
coach must indicate that the timeout is being taken to challenge the play
at the time of the timeout. Also of interest, one of the emphasis points is
that all elements of the play become reviewable once the review is
initiated. The example from the rule book being that if you're challenging
that the puck was hit with a high stick, but it was actually kicked in, it
will still be disallowed.

Here's the full text of the review rules.

93.4 Video Replay Criteria - The following criteria are subject to the use
of video replay. Items 1-11 may be reviewed through either referee
discretion or by a coach's challenge. Items 12-14 include a description of
when review is allowed. The full criteria is below: 1. A puck crossing the
goal line. 2. A puck entering the net before the goal frame is dislodged.
(See 83.5.) 3. A puck entering the net before or after expiration of time
at the end of a period, a whistle, or referee’s determination that play has
stopped. 4. A puck directed into the net by a hand or a distinct kicking
motion. 5. A puck deflected into the net by an official. 6. To correctly
identify individuals who participated in a fight or committed an
infraction. 7. To establish the correct time on the clock, or to determine
the correct location of a faceoff. 8. To determine if an attacking player
prevented the goalkeeper from defending the goal in accordance with Rule
73. 9. To determine if a goal was scored as the direct result of a hand
pass or high stick by an attacking player to a teammate or deflection off
of the goalkeeper. 10. To determine if a goal was scored before a penalty
infraction occurred. 11. To allow the on-ice officials to review
infractions that may result in the ejection of a student-athlete. 12. To
determine if a goal was scored as a result of an offside play or as the
result of an undetected too many men on the ice infraction by the attacking
team. The opportunity for review exists during the time the puck entered
the attacking zone illegally as a result of the offside infraction and
until the puck either: a) Leaves the offending team’s attacking zone; b) A
stoppage of play occurs and a faceoff is conducted; or c) The defending
team gains possession and control of the puck. During regular-season
competition, a team must use its timeout except in last 10 minutes of the
game or in the overtime period to have these plays reviewed. In postseason
competition, offsides and too many players infractions are part of the
criteria for review without a coach's challenge. 13. To determine if a goal
was scored, as a direct result of the puck deflecting off of the protective
netting above the glass, by the first team to gain possession of the
deflected puck. A coach's challenge must be used to have this reviewed. 14.
A puck directed or deflected into the net by a high stick. (See 83.6.) A
coach's challenge must be used to have this reviewed. 93.5 Non-Detected
Goal - In situations where a non-detected goal is awarded, officials will
reset the game clock accordingly. If penalties occur prior to or after the
undetected goal, these penalties will be enforced regardless of team. 93.6
Allowable Time for Review - Any potential goal requiring video review must
be reviewed prior to or during the next stoppage of play. No goal may be
awarded (or disallowed) as a result of video review once the puck has been
dropped and play has resumed.