From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn W. Gale
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1993 13:29:27 -0400
     Chalk up another vote strongly opposed to the shootout.  Mike and others
have already noted the reasons.  With regard to Richard's note, I don't think
the problems in soccer (football) exist to anywhere near the same degree in
hockey.  In fact, in football there is much opposition to the penalty kick
shootout because lesser teams can just try to play for a tie and hope to
win the lottery (shootout); if anything, it seems to increase the number of
boring, low-scoring second-halves of games.
     One alternative which I would find very entertaining (though I'm not
seriously suggesting it for the NCAA; I just find it interesting) is a method
I heard was used in a local high school tournament.  If after a suitable amount
of time the game is still tied.  Each team takes one player off the ice and
they play for something like two or three minutes.  If it's still tied they
each take another player off etc. until there could potentially be a one-on-one
situation (plus goalies).  For football, this might not be so bad, since the
team with better players would still be favored.  I don't suggest it for
college hockey since there is too much of a sideshow aspect to it.  Wouldn't
it be a blast, though, to watch Paul Kariya go one-on-one with Derek Plante??

-Glenn