From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2019 21:14:50 +0000
It doesn't happen that often. I can only think of three occasions
since the NCAA started holding championship tournaments. (This of
course gives me a chance to brag about something my beloved Big Red
did fifty frippin' years ago)
In the 1969-70 season, Cornell went 29-0 and won the NCAA Div I
championship.
In 1983-84, Bemidji did Cornell a little better, going 31-0 and
winning the NCAA Div II championship.
In 1955-56, Clarkson went 23-0 but rejected an invitation to the NCAA
tournament, because the NCAA would rule, or had ruled, several of
their players ineligible for the tourney. I believe this was because
they had played a fourth varsity year, and back then the NCAA only
allowed three.
Two close calls that I know of at the Div III level:
In 1993-94, Fredonia advanced through the first round of the NCAA Div
III tournament with a 24-0-4 record, but lost the semifinal to
eventual champion Wisconsin-River Falls.
In 2000-01, RIT got to the Div III championship game with a 27-0-1
record, but lost the final game to Plattsburgh.

Bill [log in to unmask]