From:
Roger Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 10:38:52 -0500
I have enjoyed being on Hockey-L for quite a few years now.  When I joined
Hockey-L back in the 91-92 season, Hockey-L was a great list.  It was
comprised of quality hockey commentary and constructive criticism.  Not
anymore.

Let's label 1996-97 as the "year to take cheap shots at Michigan."

Michigan is a quality hockey program with quality hockey fans.  Yes--I'll
say this right up front--Michigan has many bandwagon & obnoxious fans as
well.  SHOW ME A TEAM THAT DOESN'T.  If you're going to take every shot you
can against Michigan, fine, just don't even try to tell me that your team
is perfect.

The Michigan Hockey team is comprised of quality young men.  They have
worked very hard this season and they were expected, BY NEARLY EVERYONE IN
THE COLLEGE HOCKEY FIELD, to repeat as champions.  Not everyone may have
wanted it to happen, but they expected it to.

Come on, people, no matter where you are from, you can't argue this fact:
Michigan came into the Phinal Phour as the favored team.  Michigan, ON
PAPER, was the best team in college hockey throughout the entire season.

However, we all know that paper isn't worth anything come Tournament time.
As BU's Jack Parker said when asked about Michigan, on WEDNESDAY: "The best
team doesn't always win the championship.  It's the team that plays the
best two games."  Hmm, that phrase sounds familiar.  Okay, EVERYONE who's
belittled Brendan Morrison, how about doing the same to Jack Parker?  I
mean, after all, he said it first ;-) .

BU played a better game than Michigan on Thursday.  NoDak played a better
game than BU on Saturday.  NoDak has the right to call themselves National
Champions.  No other team in College Hockey can make that claim.