From:
Roger Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 11:06:47 -0400
At 09:30 AM 8/19/97 -0500, Joel Mack wrote:

= On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Tuschen, Terry wrote:
=
= > Does anyone know if these games will be part of the DirecTV sports
= > package?  I know that DirecTV has a lot of FOX sports channels, but I
= > don't remember seeing Fox Detroit.
=
= AFAIK DirecTV only has PASS, and not FSD, so us dish people are probably
= screwed...  :(
=
= Joel
<<<<<<<<

Actually, no one is screwed just yet:  Fox Sports Detroit does not yet
exist on any system, cable or dish.

Fox Sports Detroit is a NEW regional sports channel that, I assume, will
begin broadcasting (and finding homes on dishes and cable systems) within
the next month or two.  Personally, I would advise everyone to start
calling their cable companies and dish services to make sure that the
"powers that be" know of this new channel.

Fox Sports Detroit has successfully negotiated contracts with the Detroit
Pistons and Detroit Red Wings, taking effect either this season or next.
Both formally had contracts with PASS.  Since the Red Wings and Tigers are
owned by the same person (among other reasons), one would expect Fox Sports
Detroit to get the Tigers contract when it comes up for renewal.
Effectively, this means that PASS will no longer have any live major sports.

I predict that once the new contracts with Fox Sports Detroit begin and if
the Tigers contract goes to FSD, PASS will cease to exist.

Roger Spurgeon
Getting ready to reclaim my Top Row seat at Yost...