From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2021 06:59:04 -0400

>The band was not playing.  I believe it has something to do with the
>woodwinds and safety protocols.

My son is in grad school for music performance and plays in a couple
of orchestras.  Woodwinds are a COVID nightmare.  You can't wear a
mask, since you play them by blowing into them.  You can put a cloth
over the open end to keep the air from coming out that way (they also
do that with the brass instruments), but that's not good enough,
because you change the pitch on a woodwind by covering or uncovering
holes in the side of it -- leaving plenty of other places for the air
to get out.

>The Clarkson bell was there however.

Percussion instruments are not affected :-)

--
Bill Fenwick                                                 DJF   5/27/94
Cornell '86 and '95                                          JCF   12/2/97