From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 1994 08:11:44 -0500
John Haeussler writes,

"The All-GLI team, as randomly selected by a group of white mice in
a laboratory experiment:

G  Jamie Ram, Michigan Tech (This brought a tremendous roar of
     laughter from our section.  Can you say OVERRATED?  These must
     have been the same lab mice that selected the All-America team
     last season.  For the record, Ram goes 1-1 with nine goals
     against.  Early in the third, my friend and I began predicting
     the All-GLI team.  We figured Shields would get the nod if he
     held the shutout in the title game, even though Gordon played
     in the first round.  Once MSU scored, the odds on choice was
     Buzak, who beat MTU in OT, 3-2, and held Michigan to four
     goals -- their second lowest output of the season -- while
     being pretty well peppered.  Is there no justice?  I've
     penciled Ram in for First Team West All-America again this
     season.  He's as much of a lock as Charlie Ward was for the
     Heisman. :-) "

In defense of Ram's selection, who else could they chose? Shields looked
good but did not play two games and did not look as good as Ram did
in the first game (MSU-MTU). Buzak was tremendous but Michigan seemed to
be able to score at will against him in the UM-MSU game. Some wouild also
suggest that in the MSU-MTU game, Buzak wasn't tested: MTU doesn't play
much of an offensive game. 80% of the play was in the MTU zone. That
leaves Notre Dame's Salzmann and Louder, neither of which showed anything
worthy of note. I can't even remember the name of the UM goalie in the
ND-UM game: he played OK but nothing that was outstanding.

John, in a rare display of affection and bias to to UM, I suspect you
wanted Shields; but unfortunately, (perhaps due to the flu that he had,) it
just wasn't there. My choice would have been Buzak followed by Ram. Ram's
play during the ND-MTU game was not exactly stellar (23 saves). To Ram's
credit, he doesn't get much help from his team mates.

In a four game series, I don't think that a all series team means much. I
agree with their choice for MVP (UM's Oliver). I might suggest three or
four other players honorable mention (UM's Wiseman, MTU Peterson and
MSU's Suk for acting during the MSU-MTU OT, :-), as well as the game winning
goal.)  Declaring an "All GLI" team is probably too far fetched.

These are my opinions for which I can and probably will be castigated
for. :-)

Walt Olson