From:
Mike Zak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
College Hockey discussion list <HOCKEY-L@MAINE>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 90 20:18:10 EDT
With all of the talk about new arenas, I thought that people would like to
know that Clarkson's is in the processes of starting to build a student center
that will contain a new hockey rink.  Work on the center is starting this
summer.  As people who have been to Walker Arena know, Clarkson desperately
needs a new rink.  Walker has to be one of the "tops" in smallest ice surface
and seating capacity.  I know that both of these will be expanded, but I don't
have the numbers.  All of the die-hard fans here hope that the bell which now
hangs over the opposing team's net in the first and last periods will be moved
to the new rink.  When asked about his days in collegiate hockey, Ken Dryden,
who played for Cornell, invariably mentions the bell at Walker as one of his
strongest memories.  Too bad I'll be done by the time the new place is com-
pleted. :-(
A note to Bill Fenwick's posting about the ECAC play-offs:  He mentioned how
tough it was to make the ECAC play-offs when there was 16-17 teams and only 8
spots.  In listing the prominant teams, he must have missed the small statistic
that Clarkson has failed to make an ECAC play-off only once since the start of
the league.

Mike Zak
Clarkson '87, '90, and '91