From:
Andy Dursin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 18:12:30 -0500
To the BU fans who have responded *constructively* to my "Worst Officiating"
Post (especially Jason Weinstein)--

Thanks for the honest comments. I agree with most of what you said, and it was
nice to see *SOME* BU fans not totally annoyed by my comments.  In fact, I had
said the very same thing about the motivational factor behind the game that
night; BU was already in, PC needed to win their way in, and I think the Friars
were too conservative during the first half of the game (as I said in my
comments), and it cost them.

I'm sorry about Mike Prendergast's injury, who did seem to be genuinely shaken
up by the hit. (And I'm also sorry that he re-injured himself on the play. BU
will miss him). However, I will still say that Prendergast COULD have gotten up
at the time. If you were down on the ice level, he definitely watched that PC
breakout play develop, and decided to stay down. He COULD have made an effort to
get off the ice (he certainly sprang right up after the play was whistled dead),
but I have a sneaky suspicion (as did the crowd along the ice) that he
definitely aided his team on a potentially dangerous breakout by putting his
head down.

Believe me, I certainly don't blame game losses on the officials (as much as
we'd all like to)...but I honestly think that it was certainly "less than
adequate" (to put it mildly) officiating Saturday night, and a shame to see it
in a game that meant so much. And I don't care WHAT justification you use,
however, on that "Too many men" call--it was OUTRAGEOUS, totally inappropriate
given the context it was called. If PC had 6 guys *PLAYING* on the ice, I could
see it, but one of them was going off on a line-change!! COME ON!!!

At any rate, it was a great ride for PC while it lasted--back at the beginning
of February, when PC lost to Amherst and BC twice (!!), I thought it was over.
To have just the OPPORTUNITY to play BU in the Garden for a chance at the NCAAs
was well beyond any Friar fan's hopes...and it was thrilling to watch.

See you in Worcester,
Andy