From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 10:17:20 EDT
Joe,

Very, very awesome post!

Pervasive combative behavior, I think, is the result of environmental
influences and brain function, literally. And, of course, it's being taught.
You hit on it when you said "cement heads." A confluence of upbringing,
societal and genetic contributions can sway aggressive tendencies.

Hockey certainly didn't start out as the more physically violent game it is
today. It evolved into it. As all sports have evolved, they've become more
physically reckless-- often exemplifying a violent game environment with
(pervasive combative behavior) physically reckless behavior. It's a national
epidemic. Can anyone dispute that?

If any of you happened to watch CNN lately, you may have caught Dr. Bruce
Perry's interview regarding violent aggressive behavior, or intent to harm
behavior. Perry is a psychologist out of the Baylor College of Medicine and
Texas Children's Hospital. Literally from early childhood, before the ages of
three, to an extent (how much I have no idea) the brain is formed amazingly
by environmental influences. He showed two brains. One was larger and one
smaller. The case histories of both these children were opposite. One child
was nurtured, held, talked to and loved, the other was severely abused. Guess
who had the larger brain?

<Don't mouthguards lessen the occurrence of concussions?

According to what I read, yes. USA Hockey supports mouthguard use, and I
believe they recommend E-Zguard mouthguards; they're also recommended by
dentists and sports physicians. E-Z-Guard is a Minnesota based company.

<Youth coaches, referees and organizations have to make it known that the
player's noodle is to be left alone.

WOW! I would think that would be a given. Why isn't it?

< "The Law of Unintended Consequences"

This is a whole seminar.

The playing field: glass, boards, size contribute to the way the game is
played. Yes, I agree $$$$ is the issue. Hockey is a high-velocity contact
sport. We've topped the list for most injuries in a sport  surpassing
football. Researchers tell us that severe injury is often independent of
protective gear. What does that tell us?

Vicki Price
Concussion Free Zone
at violentcontact.net