Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 09:33:22 -0500
As long as Adam is focusing on logic fallacies on one side of the argument, I
figure that I might as well take the other side to task.  The anecdotal
evidence id flying pretty thick on both sides, and Derek Hodgins went so far
as to declare that anecdotal evidence is the *only* evidence that he
considers valid.  But then we have this:

Joseph M LaCour wrote:

> BUT, once the facemask came in (78-79?), up went the sticks and respect
> for the noodle went down.

[snip]

> What we have to do is educate
> and enforce.  Educate the players in minor hockey (and college) that you
> don't touch the head.  Touch it and it is 2, 5, or a DQ.  Yes, it will be
> ugly for a while, but safety should go up.

This is a pretty good example of a "false choice" argument.  By all means,
let's penalize high-sticking, elbowing, boarding and other ways that players
injure each others heads.  But what that has to do with facemasks is
something I'm unclear on.  Why not educate the players *and* have them wear
the mask?

J. Michael Neal