From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2023 19:03:41 -0400
Re: "- why doesn't the women's program get more attention?"

Men's Division I is about to hold a national championship tournament in
that traditional hockey hotbed, Florida.  In order to attend that
tournament, a three-game affair stretched over three days, many fans
will have to fly long distances on Wednesday, check into a hotel for
four nights, attend  games on Thursday afternoon/evening and Saturday
evening, and find other things to do on half of Thursday, all of Friday,
and most of Saturday, ... which is ok.

But couldn't that exercise be more productive and also generate interest
in women's hockey if the NCAA would combine, at a minimum, the men's and
women's Division I tournaments into a single Thursday-Saturday/Sunday
activity?  In fact, why not add all divisions to the group?  Make it a
college hockey extravaganza loaded with games throughout the period.
Surely the arena can handle the activity if skillfully scheduled over
whatever period makes sense.  Fans can select the events that primarily
interest them and have a chance for exposure to other divisions and
genders.  Fans can choose to fill their time with hockey or divide it
between their principal hockey interests and tourist activities, however
it suits them.

Would there be any disadvantages?  Is the head of the NCAA reading
this?  And if it works, how much should be paid to the person who
suggested it?

Bob Griebel