From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2019 22:16:29 -0500
This happened at least twice this year at Wisconsin home games -- on two
Saturday nights in a row. Once a linesman, once a referee if I recall.
In one case, after being attended by the trainer, the official completed
the period, but did not return for the next period.

The NCAA rule is:

> 32.4 Unable to Continue- Should one of the appointed officials be
> unable to officiate because of sickness or accident, the remaining
> officials shall officiate the game. In the two-referee, two-linesman
> system, if a referee is unable to continue, a one-referee,
> two-linesman system is recommended. If a linesman is unable to
> continue, the two-referee, one-linesman system is recommended. In the
> two-referee, one-linesman system, conferences should establish a
> policy dealing with this issue.
>
> A conference or supervisor of conference officials is allowed
> discretion to determine which system to utilize if an official is
> unable to continue due to injury or illness.
>
> If an on-ice official accidentally leaves the ice or receives an
> injury that incapacitates the individual from discharging the duties
> of the job while play is in progress, the game shall be stopped
> immediately by a remaining on-ice official, unless one of the teams
> has the puck in a scoring position, in which case the play shall be
> allowed to be completed. If it is obvious that the injury sustained is
> of a serious nature, play shall be stopped immediately.

(note that the 3 official system -- 2 referees and 1 linesman is only
for women's hockey)

   --david