EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Karwowski Pawe³" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 00:00:18 +0200
  I 'm  very  sorry  but  email  I  send  on  the  list  about  a  week  ago  did  not  passed  through .
I  changed  server  and  I  hope  members  of  the  list  will  forgive  me   that  delay   .
First  of  all  I  wanted  to  thank  you  that  so  many  people  has  answered  my  questions .
Emails  with  Pound  bibliography  in  Polish  I  will  send  you  once  again  Mr  Henderson .
I  would  like  to  ask  you  to  send  me  short  information   if  you  will  get   them .
I'm  sorry  for  the  delay  once  again .
Now  the  answers  :
Chris  :
 continuing  the  " difficulty"  leitmotiv  .  I  think   there  are  certain  advances  connected  with
english  language   which  you  maybe  even  dont  know .
I  realised  for  example  that  provancal  " melopoeia "  introduced  into  english  centuries  ago  by Chaucer  and  wonderfully  developed   by  E. P.  &  others  in  XX  cent.   practically  never  hit  Poland  yet . I  mean  if  I  want  to  read  artistical  text  charged  with  " sound "  , the  melody  ,  rhytm  and  so on  I  simply  have  to  pick  up  Joyce   or  Pound   and   read  them .
Our  poetry  it  is  generally  so  called  / by  Pound /  phanopoeia  ,  highly  logical  and   conservative
language  /  there  are  few  exeptions /  and  I  can  do  perfectly  nothing  about  it . Here  , in  Poland  it  is
difficult   to  comprehend  Pound , because  no one   have  written  like  that  , we  have
no  predecessors  .
That  why  the  youngest  polish  poetry  clearly  goes  into  that  direction .
In  my  opinion   it  is  a  matter  of  rhytm  .  Rhytm  and  melody   make   a  construction   of    a  vers   easy  or  difficult .
Colloquial  language  doesn't  pay  attention  on  that  /  but  certainly  I  accept  it  just  like   jazz  and  blues   are  both    a   necessity   in  the   music /.

to  prof .  Adams  :
I  dont  know  Mr  Sosnowski  personally  .  It  is  era  of  Internet   -  it  is  much  more  easy  to  contact  Poundians  in  USA  or  Japan
instead  of  Poundians  in  Warsaw . But  it  is  matter  of  time  . I'll   pass   your's  greetings   to  him  .
Last  year  Mr  Sosnowski  collected  all  the   highest   prizes   in  poetry   in  my  country  .  He  is  strongly  influenced   by  E.P.  writing
I  found  a  lot  of  similarieties  but  there  are  differences  as  well -  Mr  Sosnowski  likes  I  would  say  "a   surrealistic  poetry "  , Lautremont  isn't
alien  to  him  .  He  posesses  a  huge   potential   of  the  imagination .

to  Mr  Caddel  :

I'm  continuing  searches  for  Mr  Bunting  translations   but   for  now   I'm  going  simply  to  buy
something   in  Internet  bookstore . There  was  a  lot  of  translations  of  O'Hara , Ginsberg , Ashberry, Schulyer ,
Lowell , Cummings,Koch, Reznicoff, Kerouac  and  so  on  and  so  on   in  the  newspapers   for  the  past  10  years .
Bunting   wasn't  so  much  lucky .  He  simply  belonged  to  the  generation   which  should  be  as  I  said  translated  in  the  50  -tees.
And  one  more  question  :
 I  want  to  know  Mr  Caddel   everything  about  so  called  " phonetical  translation" .  Did  you  read  anything  by
I. A. Richards  -  a  theoretician  of  literature  , who   was    working   on    this  problem  ? Can  you  recommend  me  his  best  book ?
                                                                                                            Pawel