EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Diana Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:30:57 -0800
Hey,
Rick, thanks for all the info on economics. You've pointed me in a direction, for which I'm very grateful.

Dave, in re to your comment ' It seems typical of Pound to try to "make it new" while planted up to his waist in tradition.' Isn't that one of the points Guide to Kulcher makes? 'If there's nothing new under the sun' then the best any artist, writer etc. can do is make ancient truths pertinent to modern times, so that, even if it's not a new sun, it's relevant to the present day?

Tom, thanks for the reading suggestions, when I figure out where the bookstores are here, I'll get on it. Also, in re to your comments about Pound (or any economist) having 'the final answer' I think it's slightly impossible for any individual to have that, being finite humans with as, Carol pointed out, limited perception. I have not yet met god in the clothes of an economist.

Thanks Tim for the references to those books. I'll check em out.

Micheal, interesting that you brought up '....aspect of the technology of money and it's heighten modality.' I was thinking about that myself the other day, I recently read some of Alvin Toffler's book, 'Power shift' and it makes ya wonder if there are going to be new rules about gold standards with electronic money that nullifies allot of traditional economic theory about gold, or if it's going to be another John Law fiasco. I don't really understand enough to speculate, though. Back to wealth of nations!

Charles,
Wasn't it Paine who said 'government is a necessary evil' and Jefferson thought a revolution was imperative every so many decades to keep the state in line? I'm beginning to wonder if enlightened men cannot be idealists as far as government goes. Sort of like being disillusioned about romance and having to work at a relationship or the best parents being the ones who don't expect their kids to be perfect. Not expecting Utopia to fall from heaven down to earth into your lap; or as Shakespeare says ;'the road to true love never did run smooth' only, I think that probably goes for all aspects of life on earth, including governments.
I read something in Guide to Kulcher that made me think, it was a very simple statement, but it pretty much sums up I think, governments infringing on the rights of the individual and people accepting it; '...and men must still save their own souls' said Pound. It seems to me allot of moderns (and probably ancients, but it seems prevalent in societies where central gov. is strong) have forgotten that and are waiting for someone to rescue them.

Diana Smith