EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:17:42 -0500
Dear Tom and All,
    May I add two quotations to this present fray of political reality vs.
political theory to which Old Ez could add buckets full?
    First, from Nietzsche, that German/Polish thorn in the side of Leo
Strauss and his sheepishly grinning band of neo-Jacobin "intellectuals" now
riding the wake soon to reach their own I hope-

"The state is a clever institution for protecting individuals from one
another; if one goes too far in ennobling it, the individual is ultimately
weakened by it, even dissolved - and thus the original purpose of the state
is most thoroughly thwarted."

    I have thought of how this might look printed on a sign and held up in
one of those "free speech zones" located far from the selected route to the
community College or the presidentially graced kindergarten du jour but
decided that it would be "thoroughly thwarted". Come to think of it maybe
that's all it should say!
    My second selection is from our own homegrown boy, Tommy Paine, and it
is the best and most succinct summary of U.S. foreign policy, past, present,
and future, that I have read to date-

"It is with a pious fraud as with a bad action; it begets a calamitous
necessity of going on."

This policy of course adapts to both embedded parties, both pious and bad,
whose rhetoric has dumbdowned to such lows as to "stay and finish the job"
in which case I would willingly vote for an undertaker if one were running.

Charles (thoroughly thwarted) Moyer