DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 2016 08:51:08 -0500
Where else can you attend programs about the aurora borealis, surgical
infections, and evolution!
We invite you to join us this week for any or all of our science
offerings.  On Monday, the Astronomy Café discusses the aurora
borealis.  On Thursday, Dr. Brian McGrory delivers a lecture about the
reduction of surgical infections.    Finally, on Friday, we celebrate
Darwin's birthday with four showings of "Natural Selection."

For more information, please call    207-780-4249, e-mail
[log in to unmask] or consult our web-site
www.usm.maine.edu/planet

ASTRONOMY CAFE:   AURORA ON ICE
Monday, February 8, 2016        7:00 p.m.
Admission by donation

The sublimely beautiful Aurora Borealis ("Northern Lights.")  Though
we associate these lights with winter, we can see them anytime of
year.    What causes the aurora?  Is there a best of time of night to
look for it?   Discover the science behind a spectacle than only five
percent of the world's population has observed.

PREVENTION OF INFECTION IN SURGERY: A New Paradigm
Thursday, February 11, 2016     7:00 p.m.
Presenter:  Dr. Brian J. McGrory

Admission by donation

Modern surgery has revolutionized our quality of life, but is not
without risk. Surgical site infection leads to morbidity and mortality
and is an immense financial expense to our health care system. This
lecture discusses surgical infection from a somewhat unique vantage
point, and allows discussion of both infection minimization strategies
and also risks that must be accepted if we are to continue to pursue
surgical solutions to health problems.

DARWIN DAY
Friday, February 12, 2016         12:00 - 4:00 p.m.
$5.00 per person (child or adult)

We celebrate Charles Darwin's birthday at the Southworth Planetarium.
  We're offering four showing of our new full dome program "Natural
Selection."
12:00 p.m.  Natural Selection
1:00 p.m.  Natural Selection
2:00 p.m.  Natural Selection