DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2018 10:14:26 -0500
Science Lecture:
Searching for Life Elsewhere – Are We alone?
Thursday, March 22, 2018     7:00 p.m.
at the Southworth Planetarium
Presenter:  Dr. Henning Haack
Maine Mineral and Gem Museum

Is there life elsewhere? Why are we here? We’ve searched for answers
to these questions since humankind became sufficiently intelligent to
pose them. Tremendous progress has been made understanding how our own
Solar System formed and we’re closer than ever before at answering the
question—are we alone? Scientists know why Earth is habitable and we
now have evidence that within our universe there are billions of other
habitable planets. However, we still do not know if life exist or is
possibly even common on other habitable planets.

Dr. Henning Haack, Research Associate for the Maine Mineral & Gem
Museum will talk about both topics and there will be an opportunity to
have a close look at some of the meteorites that have made it possible
to reconstruct the origin of our Solar System. He will also talk about
the search for life on Mars and in other Solar Systems in our Galaxy.
The current prediction is if life is common in the Universe, we will
discover it within the next ten years. This would be the biggest
discovery of all time and forever change the way we look at ourselves.

Refreshments will be served.

Admission by donation.