DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 2015 14:41:27 -0500
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249       www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street  Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N,                    70.2667° W
Founded January 1970
               "It's Christmas!  Don't forget the suntan oil!"

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday, December 25, 2015
Christmas Quiz

Yes, we know it isn't Christmas, yet.   We are sending this quiz early
because the planetarium is about to close for two days.   And, yes, we
just returned, so why on Earth are we taking a break, already?     The
e-mail issued just happened to be resolved and our hiatus brought to
an end about a week before Christmas.    Hence, the undeserved mini
vacation.  However, we will be back -in a bleary-eyed stupor- on
Monday!

Today's quiz celebrates all things Christmas: from its origins to
modern traditions based on it.

1.  We will have a full moon on Christmas.  We last experienced a
Christmas full moon in what year?
a.  1988
b.  1977
c.  1966
d.  1899

2.  Christmas was originally celebrated at various times throughout
the year.    When was December 25th established as the official
birthday of Jesus Christ?  (Note: all the times listed below are AD,
of course.)
a.   4th century
b.   6th century
c.  11th century
d.  13th century

3. The three Magi were learned priests who professed which religion?
a.  Judaism
b.  Zoroastrianism
c.  Paganism
d.  The cult of Pallas Athena

4.  Which ONE of the following is NOT a name of one of Santa's reindeer?
a.  Comet
b.  Dancer
c.  Blitzen
d.  Vizen

5.  The "Feast of the Epiphany," observed on January 6, is another
holiday that some celebrate instead of Christmas.    What event does
this holiday commemorate?
a.  The date that Mary received word that she would give birth to the Messiah
b.  The date when the Magi arrived with their gifts
c.  The date of the Last Supper
d.  The origin of this holiday is unknown

6.  "____________________"  has been recorded more times than any
other Christmas song.
a.  "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus."
b.  "Jingle Bells"
c.  "Silent Night"
d.  "The Twelve Days of Christmas"

7.  St Nicholas, the bishop on whom Santa Claus is based, was
originally from which country?
a.  Norway
b.  England
c.  Ireland
d.  Turkey

8.  What was the last state in the US to declare Christmas a national holiday?
a.  Maine
b.  Rhode Island
c.  Oklahoma
d.  Hawaii

9.  "La Befana" is the female Santa Claus counterpart in which country?
a.  Italy
b. Spain
c. Brazil
d. Costa Rica

10.  Who was the Roman Emperor/Dictator when Christ was born?
a.  Caesar Augustus
b.  Caesar Julius
c.  Caesar Tiberius
d.  Caesar Gaius (Caligula)

ANSWERS

1. b.  1977
Yes, this was also the same year that "Star Wars IV: A New Hope" was
released.  Some people have asked us if there is a connection.   There
most assuredly is, but it that connection is buried so deep in the
space-time reality we are unable to fathom it.

2. a.   4th century
Roman Emperor Constantine, the first Christian emperor, first
celebrated Christmas on December 25th, a date which had been
celebrated as "The Birthday of the Unconquered Sun."  Later that
century, Pope Julius I established December 25th as Christ's birthday.

3. b.  Zoroastrianism
Their names were Melchoir, Caspar, and Balthazar

4. d.  Vizen
The name is actually "Vixen."

5. b.  The date when the Magi arrived with their gifts

6.  c.  "Silent Night"

7. d.  Turkey
Then known as "Asia Minor."

8. c.  Oklahoma
Alabama was the first state to declare Christmas a state holiday in
1836.  Oklahoma was the last state to do so in 1890.  By the time
Alaska and Hawaii were established as states, Christmas was a national
holiday and recognized holidays in those states, as well.

9. a.  Italy

10. a.  Caesar Augustus