DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 08:38:45 -0500
SCIENCE LECTURE:   New Frontiers - Where Are We Going Now?
Thursday, February 15, 2018
7:00 p.m.
in Room 165 Science Building

Join Dr. Julie Ziffer for a discussion of NASA's past present and
future New Frontiers missions. For a mission to be funded it must seek
to address one of the following questions.

    How did our solar system form and evolve?
    Is there life beyond Earth?
    What are the hazards to life on Earth?

Topics covered during the presentation will include:

    Unexpected findings from New Horizons' exploration of Pluto

    Intriguing results from Juno's early successes at Jupiter.

    An inside look at the asteroid target of NASA's OSIRIS-REx sample
return mission.  The target, Bennu, has been of special interest to
Dr. Ziffer who has researched and published extensively on this
object.

An exploration of the two frontrunners for the next New Frontiers
Mission: Dragonfly to explore Titan and a comet sample return called
CAESAR.

Admission by donation.

Call 207-780-4249 or e-mail [log in to unmask]  to reserve your
space or for more information.