ACTEM-INTEGRATORS Archives

ACTEM Integrators

ACTEM-INTEGRATORS@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jim Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ACTEM Integrators <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 13:32:09 -0400
Deb, what a great question . . . and what great responses!  I would agree
that technology can't do it by itself, that it takes engaging lessons with
essential questions . . .  and the opportunity to share with a larger
audience than just the teacher or some CMS.

Having said that, many times I've seen a digital device match up perfectly
for a student who has had learning difficulties with more traditional
tools.  So there are times that the technology in and of itself can create
remarkable results.  On the other hand, a steady diet of filling in bubbles
or selecting A,B, C or D on a digital worksheet for most students seems
counter-productive to me. While there certainly is a place . . . and a need
. . .  for instructivism (direct instruction), the computer makes it easier
for all of us to construct knowledge, and in doing so, incorporate important
process skills to maximize our learning.

Some related resources:

Instructivism  http://learninginamerica.wikispaces.com/Instructivism
Constructivism  http://learninginamerica.wikispaces.com/Constructivism
Project-based Learning
http://learninginamerica.wikispaces.com/Project+Based+Learning
Metacognition   http://learninginamerica.wikispaces.com/Meta+Cognition
Khan Academy  http://www.khanacademy.org/
Process Skills   http://learninginamerica.wikispaces.com/Process+Skills

Jim Burke
207-674-2006

Western Maine Learning - Online Home Office
http://sites.google.com/site/westernmainelearning/Home

Learning in America Resources Wiki