From:
Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 12:54:51 EST
In a message dated 11/27/99 12:17:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:...<<   I was a proponent of major college hockey
powers telling the NC$$ to @#$% off a number of years ago.  Establish their
own organization both to regulate AND develop college hockey and welcome all
colleges interested in the sport to join them.  At the same time they could
make it clear to the NC$$ that if they tried any reprisals against any
school's other sports, then the new organization would go toe-to-toe in
court.  Of course schools like Michigan and Notre Dame wouldn't dare to risk
the NC$$'s wrath, but it's STILL a good ide >> ... with all due respect- this
only proves my point- I wonder how many of us have ever played; participated
in; or been associated on a personal level with D1 hockey. Diatribes about
the NCAA do not accomplish anything. Hockey is at best  a weak #4 in US
sports and until it becomes a national (not regional) game and an American
game it will continue to languish in an era of Title IX and constricted
athletic budgets. The fact of the matter Williams & Middlebury do a better
and fairer job with their athletic programs (Union are you listening) than
the BUs of this world. D1 sports at all but a few places (ie the Service
Academies) merely is the hiring of  unpaid athletes (with scholarships being
their compensation) to be semi-pros to make money on the athletes and give
the school good publicity. As to the idea of splitting from the NCAA- D1
football has threatened to do this for years but the recent tv contract for
hoops will prevent  and the big bucks will prevent anyone from leaving.