ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 12:14:18 EDT
DT wrote, in part..
>It is the FirstClass server that serves the campus mail.  For some reason,
>posts to the list are being posted many hours after they are sent.

Yes.  As I wrote to the questioner (privately), the FirstClass header
had a time of about noon, but it didn't arrive out of FirstClass until
about 1am the next day.  I don't know if the feed from FirstClass is
batched and done just once late at night, whether that was a special
case, or something in between normally happens.  Contact FirstClass
support for the details.  (In this case, once the file arrived from
FirstClass, it was distributed to the news server and from the list
server in a few seconds).

>UM students.. plan ahead if you are going to post, or maybe explore a free
>web e-mail account like Yahoo! or Hotmail.

All UMS students are eligible for an e-mail account with UNET.  This is
a POP-mail service now and will be POP or IMAP (your choice on each
connection) fairly soon.  Your e-mail address would be

assuming that account name is available.  The e-mail account also
provides up to 50 hours/month remote access (dial-up modem connection
for internet access, and an assortment of software on diskette or CD-ROM
that you might use for e-mail, www browsing, net news, etc.

There is no charge for this account (unless more than 50 hours/month
access is requested and used) for students, faculty, staff and retirees
for their personal academic or research pursuits related to the
University.  Modem pools are available covering much of the State of
Maine.  The usage agreement is available at UNET and is given to you
when you obtain the account.  The modem telephone numbers are in the
packet you receive, as well as being on the UNET website at

      http://www.Maine.edu/UNET/

Call 581-3524 or stop in at the Orono UNET offices for more information
or to obtain the account.

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith              Systems Group -- UNET Technology Services
[log in to unmask]               University of Maine System