EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:12:01 -0400
I found this catalog entry when searching the Internet for "Rex Lampman"; so
far unable to determine whose catalog it is:

212. (Pound, Ezra) Congressman Usher Burdick's four office file folders of
Pound & other correspondence relating to the attempted & finally successful
release of Ezra Pound from St. Elizabeths Hospital, where he was condemned
for insanity after his pre-trial hearing for treason. Includes letters from
Ezra Pound, & from his wife, Dorothy, a group of photographs of Pound, press
clippings, letters from Pound to Burdick's legislative assistant, Laura Page
Knudson, letters to & from Burdick regarding the release of Pound (both
before & after, incl. the original letter from Rex Lampman of Hollywood
asking Burdick to get involved in the first place, & a couple of letters
from poet Witter Bynner, signed), copy of the 1945 Grand Jury report against
Pound, printing of the original Resolution submitted to Congress for his
release (1957), copy of a transcript of an interview with Pound by the
Canadian Broadcasting Corp., copy of the congratulatory telegram sent by
Burdick to the Pounds on their voyage back to Italy, 2 copies of The Library
of Congress Legislative Reference Service 53-page report by Hal Seiber on
"The Medical, Legal, Literary and Political Status of Ezra Weston [Loomis]
Pound," 1958, etc. Various places: various dates. Generally covering the
years 1957-58, this is the unique record of the workings of Ezra Pound's
release from the mental hospital to which he was condemned after being
declared incapable of standing trial for treason in 1946. Pound had been
arrested and shipped back to the U.S. after making inflammatory statements
on a daily basis on Italian radio, attacking Roosevelt and extolling
Mussolini and Facism. Pound was sent to St. Elizabeths Hospital for 12
years, longer than convicted traitors Tokyo Rose and Alger Hiss spent in
jail, and it was only with the help of Congressman Burdick that Pound's case
was finally taken up (under the commonly held belief that Pound was, in
fact, not insane). The generally ornery letters from Pound to Burdick's
assistant cast him in a harsh light: From May 12, 1958, Pound writes: "I
have always regarded package words as a pest. Notably the idiotic term
"anti-semitism", and repeatedly said it was idiotic to attack jews while
leaving intact an infamous swindle which they understood better than
uncorrelated goyim. I see no reason why the highly sensitized sephadim [sic]
should be held responsible for the brutal savagery of the kazars...I shd/
like some time to list some of the curious acts occuring under the reign of
Roosevelt (F.D.) probably to be known to future generations as `THE
Calamity.'...Rome Daily American unreliable / reporter probably
misunderstood what I said. Without exact date, impossible to determine, if
this occured after I had been put OFF the air, by Italian government.
Against which I protested, and got back on. To do what I considered my duty
in warning the U.S. against Roosevelt's hysteria." Burdick was very
interested in the causes of people being "railroaded" into mental
institutions, and he saw Pound's case as a seminal example, one that would
be easily thrown into the spotlight. Most of Pound's letters signed "Ez
Pound", all T.Ls.s. with holograph corrections. A fascinating group of
letters, photographs, clippings, reports, and more. An article on the case
from the Dec. 1994 Smithsonian is also included. (5000/8000).

Tim Romano