From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 23:22:50 -0500
I don't mind facts and figures as opposed to anecdotal evidence of players and
coaches.

However, the facts and figures should have relevance.  What I say to the below
is, "SO WHAT!"  No kidding injuries increase ... let's see a breakdown on the
types of injuries. Are we talking about a twisted knee?  Are we talking about a
boo-boo on your hand?  As for facial injuries, what do we mean?

Here's some questions for your study:

-- Do injuries go up because of lack of face shields -- or because of bigger,
faster players? Can't see you doing anything to prevent the latter.

-- What part of the increase can be attributed to each factor?

-- Are the types of injuries that occur without the face shield (facial cuts)
worth the trade off for most hockey players that increased vision gives? Most
I'm sure would say yes.

And ask yourself this question:  Why is it that the overwhelming preponderance
of spinal injuries have occured in the collegiate ranks??  Have there been any
in the pros? Why do rugby players not get hurt the way football players do?

Maybe there are good answers to these questions, but they haven't been answered
by these completely pointless statistics.

AW

>  Level                Age             Practice           Game
>
> squirt                9-10             1.2               00.0
> peewee                11-12            2.2               00.0
> bantam                13-14            2.5               10.9
> high school           15-19            0.2               34.4
> junior A              17-19            3.9               96.1
> intercollegiate       18-21            2.3               84.3
> swedish elite         19-33            1.4               74.1
>
> "The incidence in injury can be attributed to the increase in size and speed
> as players mature and to the rules and equipment used at different levels of
> participation (e.g. halfshield facial protection can be worn by players over
> 18 in Junior A but not in college hockey players). Recent studies examined
> the effect of mandatory use of face masks on facial lacerations and head and
> neck injuries in ice hockey and found that the full face mask reduced facial
> lacerations compared with previous studies and did not increase head and neck
> injuries. Although there are no published comparative studies on facial
> protection to date (1997)
> that used a concurrent control group, LaPrade et al strongly recommended full
> facial protection to guard against chin lacerations and dental injuries."
>
> 74.1% of high school injuries occur from:
> Collisions 33.3%
> collision into the boards 39.6%
> collision on the ice 11.1%

AW