EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 07:26:07 -0400
Wayne,
The listserver could be enforcing a limit on the size of
attachments. FYI, on many other lists, you'd be flamed to a crisp
for sending an attachment that size, because some folks still have
very slow dialup connections or pay high rates for their online
time or use mail readers whose attachment-handling capabilities
are crude. It could take 20 minutes or more to bring down an image
that size over a slower connection. When I receive large email
attachments, they sometimes cause my ISP's mail server to fail to
release a lock on my mailbox, and I have to make a phone call to
tech support, remain on hold for ? minutes, and then get them to
fix the problem.  While I am waiting for them to fix the problem,
I continue to receive, over and over, mail I've already
downloaded. Given such technical problems, the usual etiquette is
to announce the availability of such an image and a willingness to
send it directly to those who request it or to put it on a web
site and announce the URL from where it may be downloaded. To make
it smaller, you could compress it using WinZIP
(http://www.winzip.com).  Or you could save it as a GIF after
reducing its color depth.
Tim Romano