From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:58:30 -0600
Eric wrote:
> I also blame some of the stick  that stupid face mask rule) I believe that
> in the NHL you do not see that kind of play go unnoticed with out having
> to drop the mits, this also make you accountable for your stupid action. I
> believe fighting would clean up the game and you would see an entertaining
> fight without having the players get suppended for more than the rest of
> the game much like the USHL or OHL, WHL....

Sorry - I just can't buy this argument.  If a player is hit with a stick to
the face, he's going to be on the ice bleeding, not dropping his mitts.  The
same argument has been made with ragard to cars -  that safer cars (airbags,
etc) has made us a nation of driving risk takers because the consequences of
our actions are not so drastic.  Its not an illogical position, but I think
going back to unsafer cars in hopes that people will drive more carefully
would be stupid.  Face masks save faces (and eyes and teeth...) - not having
them is worse than any extra stick work that might come along because we do
have them.  But you'll have to provide me with some evidence before I buy
the argument that they cause the stick work to begin with.

Just an alternative opinion.

Tom Rowe                                                  [log in to unmask]
They say that ignorance and apathy are the two great evils of
today's world.  Well, I wouldn't know about that and I don't
care anyway.