From:
Jeff Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:47:04 -0400
At 12:30 PM 4/12/99 -0400, Clay wrote:

>I think one of the reasons that Harvard could always produce strong hockey
>teams was that they got all the best kids from the prep schools.  If you
>look at the oak tablets listing the captains of the hockey teams at prep
>schools like Belmont Hill, Phillips Exeter, Phillips Andover, or Deerfield
>(all high powered prep schools), you'll see a lot of Harvard players as
>well.  So Harvard, while a national school, siphoned off a lot of the local
>talent (or maybe a better metaphor is skimmed the cream).  But in recent
>years, a lot of these players have ended up elsewhere.

I don't think that Harvard has gather any less of the talent then they have
in the past.  They just haven't done as much with the talent they have had.
I don't remember all of the rosters but they always had an "international"
flair to them in the Cleary years.  I think the makeup is not a glaring
difference from say 10-15 years ago.