From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:27:18 -0400
I may be wrong on this, because I didn't grow up in the east, but I think
it's more accurate to say that the tradition was begun at a time when
Canadian players dominated WESTERN college hockey.  I grew up in Colorado
Springs, so I'm well aware of the situation at CC and DU; they were
virtually 100% Canadian.  But I believe that the rosters of BU, BC, and
Harvard, for example, had a fairly healthy number of Americans on their
rosters (can someone please verify one way or the other?)

If giving American players a place to play was the intent of the program, I
agree with you that the practice is unnecessary.  A look at the CC and DU
rosters, as well as the success of American dominated schools like BU and,
more recently BC, is evidence of that.  But I do suspect there's more going
on than that, since the practice is all MINNESOTAN, not all AMERICAN.

I personally don't have any opinion on Doug Woog, but I would be very, very,
surprised in the modern environment that an all-Minnesota roster could be
consistently competitive nationally REGARDLESS of the coach.

Speaking as an outsider, I greatly admire Minnesota (the state) hockey.  If
the University of Minnesota were to start recruiting out-of-state players,
it wouldn't reduce my admiration for Minnesota hockey one whit.  To me,
Minnesota (the state)  hockey and Minnesota (the university) hockey are two
different things.

Clay