From:
William Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:52:56 -0400
Needless to say, because of the limited seating capacity of the
Providence Civic Center (approx. 11,000 in comparison to arena sites
used over the past three years) and the dollar guarantee paid to the
NC$$ off the top of ticket revenues for the right to host the tourney,
Providence College probably had no choice but to bump the package price
by $20 just to assure they could at least anticipate a small profit.
After all, there will be 6-7k less seats to sell and still meet the same
NC$$ guarantee that larger arenas don't have to squeeze out of their
ticket buyers.

That certainly doesn't mean that the series ticket price is likely to
drop back in 2001-2003 when larger venues are scheduled, but PC may not
have had much choice if they were to avoid a loss on the venture.  My
assumption is that basically the NC$$ says to prospective hosts, "Here's
what we require as a guarantee irregardless of seating capacity -- if
you want to host this tournament, you figure out how to accomodate that
figure and still make ends meet."

Now about the $15.00 handling fee -- I have no idea whether that
represents a secondary attempt to recoup the funds required to meet the
NC$$ guarantee without raising the ticket package even further, or just
a presumption of what potential ticket buyers might be willing to
absorb.  Misguided or not, it is interesting to note that the handling
fee for  tickets to the 2000 NC$$ East Regional/2001 NC$$ Frozen Four at
the Pepsi (nee Knickerbocker) Arena in Albany is *$3.00*.

As for the single series ticket price in Providence, no great mystery --
there is just Main Arena seating -- no levels, no balconies or upper
deck, no luxury boxes.  Not a bad seat in the barn.  One price fits all.

Finally, John MacKinnon opined that Luiz Valente and I might be willing
to give city/state tours during tourney week for that same $15 handling
fee per person.  I can't speak for Luiz, but my tours are priced
considerably higher in view of the scheduled stop at the `Foxy Lady` and
the fact that I'll be using Erik Biever's convertible during its
off-hours.

Bill Corrigan

LET'S GO BRUNO!