From:
John Gabarra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:39:24 EST
In a message dated 99-03-28 21:52:12 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Rules Question: Is offsides negated if  the other team knocks the pck
 into its own defensive zone?  I know I've seen this called offsides lots
 of times.  Did the officials just blow it those other times?  This was a
 huge play, as UNH's only goal in regulation came when Jason Krog was
 clearly offsides with less than fifteen seconds left in the first period
 when the puck bounced off of a Michigan skate back into the zone. >>

Offsides is negated when the the team SHOOTS the puck into it's own end with
an attacking player trapped in his attacking zone. If the puck is DEFLECTED by
a defensive player into the zone, delayed offsides is initiated.  I was seated
just inside the blueline  when that play happened and I wasn't sure whether it
was intentionally passed back to the defensive zone or if it was
deflected....without the benefit of replay, I'd have to give them the benefit
of the doubt because the linesman was right there in great position with an
open view of the play. What was said on tv??
I didn't hear much objection from the crowd directly around us - but then
again, we were surrounded by UNH fans.