From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:26:16 -0800
Just caught up on a week's worth of HOCKEY-L mail and what surprised me is
there has been no discussion of Michigan State's Mike York for Hobey
Baker.

Sure, Jason Krog leads the country in scoring, but we often hear about how
the Hobey is for the "complete" player, on and off the ice.  Chris Imes,
for instance, was the runner-up in 1995 as a defenseman, who wasn't even
the leading scoring blue liner on the team, let alone the nation.  But,
everyone who saw Imes wanted him on their team.  If you wanted the most
complete forward, who would you pick, Krog?  Blake?  Gionta?

Mike York has been on the ice for 900+ shifts this year and during all that
time he has been on the ice for ONLY two even-strength goals and is a +35.
York has 51 points (21g, 29a) to lead his team in scoring and averages 25
minutes played per game.  York has received solid recognition from the CCHA
by being named Player-of-the-Year, Best Defensive Forward and First-Team
CCHA, but I don't think he's receiving nearly enough media attention
nationally for the Hobey Baker.

I've seen Kariya, Krog, Gionta many times, and seen York on television
plenty of times as well.  He compares well, but his all-around game should
make him a leading candidate.  I think people assume that Krog and Jason
Blake are the leading candidates, but York's name should be in that list as
well.  I know one committee member already who plans to vote for York, but
here's hoping more take notice of him because he certainly is a special
player.
===
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]