From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:30:28 -0500
>lack of other scores...while they did mention a few updates over
>the PA from other conf. action, why not post more regularly to the
>scoreboards they have scattered about the Fleet, including the BIG one
>hanging over center ice?...they do it for other NHL games when the B's are
>playing; was it really necessary to show that composite drawing with all
>the HE team mascots ad nauseum?  I got sick of seeing THAT fairly quickly,
>& wished they showed other scores; and as long as it's a college/NCAA
>event, why not offer some hoop scores as well?  Some of us were interested!

You've hit a sore point with me concerning Jumbotrons.  Why is it that
arenas which have these things refuse to display the bad news.  You'll
always see replays of the home team's scores, but nothing of when the
opponent scores a goal.  Conte Forum is notorious for that (not to mention
that Kelly Rink is the most stupidly designed hockey rink in creation).

> 1.  No doubt the strict NC$$ rules applied to conduct of the event, save
> except serving beer.  The most obvious example was the announcer -- the
> "let's play hockey" guy, not the regular guy who does hockey for the
> Bruins.

I doubt NC$$ rules had anything to do with any of the behind the scenes
management of the event.  Last year's HEA's championship game was preceded
by a women's championship game, which was clearly outside the perview of the
NC$$.  If that governing body had any influence over the management of last
year's event, the women's game would probably had to have been played
elsewhere.  The NC$$ has bigger fish to fry than conference tournaments, or
else they'd be grabbing huge pieces of basketball tourneys.  Of course,
who's to say what is a big fish for the NC$$?

The "Let's Play Hockey" guy (whose name escapes me) is the regular announcer
for BU games at Walter Brown Arena.  He has done college hockey events at
the Boston Garden/Fleet Center for a number of years, including last year's
Frozen Four (sm).  Joel Perlmutter, who was the last regular Bruins'
announcer at the Garden, is the announcer at Matthews Arena for Northeastern
games.  Joel also announced college hockey events at the old barn.

Edward N. Moller
Controller
Mount Ida College
Newton Centre, MA  02459-3323