From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:06:55 -0600
> I cannot understand why hockey pollsters continue to hurt the promotion
> of hockey playing institutions by only listing Top 10 in their polls.

Jack, I respectfully, yet vehemently, disagree with you.

Anything more than 10 is completely silly, and if other sports do it, than
they look silly.

There are 50 D-I hockey programs. That's 20% listed in the poll.  A top 25
in basketball with 350 schools, or football with 200, is another story.

If you listed 25, you would have teams with LOSING records in the poll,
which would make a complete mockery of the whole idea.

I don't think this would promote hockey at all ... I think it would only
serve to make it look silly and foolish.

Come back to me when there's 100 playing schools and I'd think about it.

> Let's promote hockey more and have more fun with our polls by listed no
> less than 25 in all our polls.

Let's work on more constructive things, like getting the standings of all
conferences, including the MAAC, listed in national papers.  Coverage on
USCHO of the MAAC does more for its credibility than the possibility of
getting one of its teams listed 25th in a poll (if that's what you're
getting at) - which wouldn't happen right now anyway.

AW