EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Brett Zombro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 21:14:42 -0500
Dear  Akitoshi,

At 07:27 PM 11/1/98 +0900, you wrote:

>... I
>wondered if there was a CD or a record with songs that used Pound's poems
>for their lyrics.

The following remarks may be too vague to be of any use to you,
but perhaps they may stir the memories of others on the list who
might be able to fill in some details.

Around 1988, I saw a premiere performance of a piece by minimalist
composer William Duckworth, which incorporated a setting of the
section of  "Mauberley" beginning "Died some, non dulce...", along
with sections of  several other American poems on anti-war themes.
I don't recall the title of the piece, but the performance was by the
contemporary 'new music' group Relache, and it made an impression--
both as an ambitious musical setting of some quite 'difficult' free
verse, and as a good example of latent possibilities, musically,
on the boundary between 'classical' and 'rock' (if you believe in that
sort of thing).  If it sounds interesting, and no one else on the list
responds, you could try looking up the discography for Relache --
they had some connection with the composer Duckworth around
that time, and so would be the most likely candidtes for a recording.
Failing that, you could try contacting Duckworth; I believe he teaches
at Bucknell University, in the U.S.

Second, and vaguer still, recollection -- I seem to recall coming across
a recording, years ago,  in the Princeton University music library,
of settings of Pound's poetry (by either one or various composers),
under a short and simple title -- something like "Pound:  Settings",
or "Settings of Pound" , etc.  Alas, I never checked it out as I was
working on something else at the time.  But anyway, such a
recording exists (unless I am having more trouble than usual
distinguishing dreams from reality! :-)).

If no one else comes forward with more information, do please
let me know privately if you ever locate either of these recordings.

Best Regards,
--
Brett Zombro