EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Akitoshi Nagahata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:27:20 +0900
Hello.  My name is Akitoshi Nagahata.  I'm teaching American literature and
English at Nagoya University, Japan.  I consider myself a novice Poundian,
but nonetheless I'm a member of the Ezra Pound Society of Japan.  There was
an annual conference of this society the day before yesterday in Osaka and
in it there was a talk about Pound's soundscape.  Hearing the talk, I
wondered if there was a CD or a record with songs that used Pound's poems
for their lyrics.  Walter Morse Rummel's "Songs of Ezra Pound" was
mentioned in the talk but I have no idea if they were made into a record.
Nor do I know if other poems by EP were made into songs.  Any reference or
discography would be appreciated.  If this topic was already discussed on
this list, could someone repost the messages or send them to me
backchannel?

Also I would like to know if there is an article that lists up EP's
references to music in his poems with a discography.  I agree with a few
other members of the society that it would make The Cantos, and other works
by EP, more accessible if we read them hearing the songs referred to at the
same time.  Canto 75, for example, is meaningless if we just stare at the
music score.

Humbly,

Akitoshi Nagahata