EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"s.j. adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 17:53:01 -0500
On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Akitoshi Nagahata wrote:

> There was
> an annual conference of this society the day before yesterday in Osaka and
> in it there was a talk about Pound's soundscape.  Hearing the talk, I
> wondered if there was a CD or a record with songs that used Pound's poems
> for their lyrics.  Walter Morse Rummel's "Songs of Ezra Pound" was
> mentioned in the talk but I have no idea if they were made into a record.
> Nor do I know if other poems by EP were made into songs.  Any reference or
> discography would be appreciated.  If this topic was already discussed on
> this list, could someone repost the messages or send them to me
> backchannel?
>
> Also I would like to know if there is an article that lists up EP's
> references to music in his poems with a discography.  I agree with a few
> other members of the society that it would make The Cantos, and other works
> by EP, more accessible if we read them hearing the songs referred to at the
> same time.  Canto 75, for example, is meaningless if we just stare at the
> music score.

Dear Akitoshi--

As one who has contemplated Pound's musical life for some time, I can
safely say that Rummel's settings of Pound have never been recorded, nor
has any of Rummel's original music to my knowledge.  Rummel was much more
famous in his day as a concert pianist, and I understand a CD reissue of
some of his 78rpm discs may be in the making.

Your suggestion of a CD to accompany the Cantos is interesting, though the
interest is probably highly specialized.  Janequin's "Chanson des Oiseaux"
has been recorded a number of times, however, so the search is not
hopeless.  But it has not been recorded as a violin solo--that is, in the
form in which EP prints it, so nostalgically recalling Olga Rudge's
playing.

I am curious about your presenter's use of the term "soundscape"?  As far
as I know, this word was coined by Pound's musical editor, Murray Schafer,
and I have used it myself.  Tell me more (either privately, or if you
think the list will be interested, by list).

                                Stephen Adams
                                Department of English
                                University of Western Ontario
                                London, Canada  N6A-3K7