EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Barda Michal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:15:42 +0200
I like to thank all of you who provided me with the texts of the two
poems in English. As there was a lot of interest concerning the Czech
version, I append an editorials by Petr Mikeą from the book I have:

CHTĚL JSEM NAPSAT RÁJ (VÝBOR Z DÍLA).  [Edited and selected by Petr
Mikeą;
translated by Kamil Bednár, Jitka Herynková, and Petr Mikeą.
Introduction
by Josef Jařab.]  Olomouc, Votobia, 1993.
ISBN 80-85619-61-X

"Pound has not been lucky in Czechoslovakia - traslations of his works
and mostly short reports about the author are spread around in magazines
and actually unavailable to a non-expert.
In the late sixties Kamil Bednář prepared a selection of Pound¶ work for
the Prague publishing house Odeon, but the book has not been published
(probably due to the Russian occupation of Czechoslovakia in 1968 and
the following orientation of the Czechoslovak official culture ideology
- M.Barda). Some of Bednář¶ translations are integrated in the current
book.
Jan Zábrana (an excellent translator of English and American authors
into Czech - M.Barda) worked for long years on the translations of
Pound¶ work. His translations are collected in the anthology "Horoskop
orloje, čtrnáct amerických básníků", Prague, Odeon 1987, pages 53-109.
The current book originated in late eighties. As Odeon, the originally
proposed publishing house, cancelled the planned edition, a young
publishing house Votobia from Olomouc took up this task."

If someone is interested in Pound in Czech even more, contact Richard
Caddel in this conference:
Richard Caddel
Durham University Library, Stockton Rd., Durham DH1 3LY, UK
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: +44 (0)191 374 3044    Fax: +44 (0)191 374 7481
WWW: http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dul0ric

who obviously keep contacts directly to Petr Mikeą, the Czech editor of
the book (I hope Richard do not mind giving this information. His mail
to me was very interesting and nice!).

For me this book was the first meeting with Pound¶ poetry, before I knew
only his name. In the book are poems, essays and the interview with
Donal Hall (1960). Specially Pound¶ attitude to fascism could be a
problem for his wide acceptance in my place (Central Europe). The book
itself is cheap (ca 4US$), but I have not seen it anywhere for months.
If I should see it somewhere, I would buy some copies for those who may
be interested.

Thanks and regards
Michal