From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:10:55 -0500
>Date:         Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:11:50 -0500
>Sender:       The College Hockey Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
>From:         "Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Unfair Venues, Unfair Conferences
>Comments: To: Eeyore <[log in to unmask]>
>To:           [log in to unmask]
>
>On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Eeyore wrote:
>
>> So, from an attendence standpoint, campus sites are the only option for the
>> West Regionals.  There just is no other choice.
>
>How about St. Paul Civic Center?  The new arena in Columbus, Ohio.
>Cincinnati,...OK forget that one, Chicago?  an attendan$e risk initially,
>maybe it would grow into something, and why not Detroit occaisionally.  I
>still cannot understand why a game between Michigan and Michigan State
>during the regular season in Detroit draws a big crowd, but one
>post-season draws nothing.
>>
>> Besides, your analysis is flawed in another way.  This was the fourth
>>year that
>> the West Regional was held at a campus site with the home team involved.
>>It is
>> the first time that the home team has gone on to the Final Four.  Michigan
>> State was a complete flop in its two tries at Munn; the Spartans didn't
>>make it
>> out of the first round either time.  And while Michigan did benefit from home
>> ice this time, they can claim to have paid their dues.  In 1995, they had to
>> beat Wisconsin in front of the very hostile Dane County crowd.  Basically,
>
>As I recall Michigan State was the #6 seed both times, so it could be
>argued that the competitive difference between the two teams was so great
>that it outweighed the home field advantage.  I can't remember Wisconsin's
>at the time, but I don't think that they were one of the top five teams
>that year.
>
>Also, one other slight correction.  The attendance for all the previous
>East Regionals was in the 8-10,000 range, with Albany's 1994 doing nearly
>12,000.
>
>One other alternative: prohibit the home team from playing in the
>on-campus venue.  But that would hurt attendan$e, the only reason for
>playing the contest there in the first place.
>Brian Morris                    RPI Engineers--Wait Until Next Year
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

        The NCAA requires the host of a regional to project revenue, and
guarantee 75% of that revenue to the NCAA, regardless of how much money is
taken in. This is a standard practice for all NCAA regionals. I'm sure no
host team would guarantee 75% of anything if they didn't get to play in
their own regional.

Dave Geringer
Sports Information Director
Alfred State College